Senior Development Test Systems Engineer - #977572
Location: Belfast, United KingdomThales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Thales Belfast designs, develops and manufactures low cost, high volume missile systems. With sites in Belfast, Crossgar and Thorney Island the company specialises in lightweight missiles and the integration of weapon systems into tactical platforms such as land vehicles, helicopters and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs).
An opportunity has arisen within our Test Systems Engineering group, working on the design and development of innovative technical solutions that meet customer requirements and business needs. The successful candidate will work as part of the Test Systems Engineering team on one of Thales Belfast’s multi-discipline programmes. Under the guidance of the Test Systems work package manager, the successful candidate will carry out the various Test Systems design/ development/ support tasks appropriate to the lifecycle phase of the product.
- Working with other Test Systems Engineers.
- Working closely with Engineering Design teams including Systems, Software and Electronic Design.
- Reporting to the Test Systems Discipline Manager and on programmes to the Work Package Manager.
- Interaction with UK and international customers, end-users, industrial partners and suppliers.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Develop test plans in conjunction with Engineering Designers.
- Ensure Testability requirements are satisfied.
- Develop test applications for use during Production Acceptance Test.
- Design of Factory Test Equipment and delivery of associated data packs including detailed hardware design schematics, cable drawings and General Assembly drawings.
- Design, coding and maintaining test software to be used on Automatic Test Equipment (ATE)
- Conducting all aspects of test solution development in accordance with company processes and standards.
- Support Operations in Product Acceptance Test including fault diagnosis and repair.
- Represent the company at meetings and presentations to customers, suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Participate in and contribute to company continuous improvement projects when required.
- Relevant experience in the hardware design of an automated production test solution
- Proven experience in the design and development of large applications using Labview
- Working knowledge of data communications (RS232, RS422, 1553, CANBus, Ethernet)
- Instrumentation selection, integration & control (GPIB, PXI, USB)
- Understanding of how you would validate a test system and verify design requirements
- Proficiency in use of data management tools for product lifecycle management
- Use of Test Software Tools for automation of Functional Test (e.g. TestStand or custom Test sequencers)
- Use of SW configuration management tools (e.g. Tortoise SVN, GIT)
- Knowledge of Digital & Analogue Circuit Design & Development
- Digital / Analog Fault finding
- Implementation of Boundary Scan Test (IEEE1149)
- Design of Electro/mechanical and electro/optics systems
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Self motivated, innovative and willing to exercise initiative
- Able to overcome barriers and make things happen
- Team member working to team goals
- Will have demonstrated a high degree of technical expertise, problem solving skills, innovation and commitment
- Ability to work within a team under pressure
- Experience in Configuration Management, Change Control and Requirements Management
- Good understanding of current trends in test development engineering and technologies.
Values & Behaviours:
The successful candidate will:
- Display innovation and self-motivation;
- Be able to work in a high pressure environment;
- Demonstrate dedication and determination in assigned tasks
Additionally, the successful candidate will exhibit the following core Thales behaviours:
- Focus on Customers
- Perform through teaming
- Develop our people
Financial / Budgetary Responsibility:
- None defined for this role
- A minimum of an HND in an engineering or computing degree.
- 5 years relevant experience in the design of production test equipment.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working.
Thales UK is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process. We will provide reasonable adjustments and support to ensure neuro-diverse applicants or those with a disability or long-term condition can be their best during the recruitment process. To request an adjustment, if you need this job advert in an alternative format or if you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Resourcing Ops for mid to senior roles, or the Early Careers Team for graduate and apprentice roles.
Great journeys start here, apply now!